Monday, March 17, 2008

Ruminations of a Pier 1 Pirate

It isn't a good truck day at Pier 1 unless you come home smelling faintly of sewage...
Damn Lawrence sewer system...

Tonight at work I received the perfect opportunity to practice my new "Hey I remember you!" routine, and I didn't even have to pretend because my two of my favorite customers came into work. Interestingly enough, they both have purchased Buddhas from me and actually enjoyed discussing the characteristics of said Buddhas. One of them also happens to look rather like Sean Connery, but that's neither here nor there...

There's so much anonymity in our current culture. I'm guilty of enjoying it (putting on my dark shades and popping in my iPod ear-buds for the short walk to class lest I run into anyone I may know from high school) but maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be.

There's something to be said for walking into a store and having the sales associate know who you are and what you like. There's something to be said for finally feeling appreciated 6.5 hours into an 8 hour shift when a customer finally treats you like a real human being and asks you how classes are going.
Pier 1 might be a corporate store, but that doesn't mean I can't make it feel a little more personable.

In other news, Nate (my brother) and I might actually be the same person...at least when it comes to relationships. Go figure.

No comments: