Monday, February 18, 2008

Infinite Regress


The Tough Guy sped on towards Lawrence, using the last of her energy to hold the car on the road. In a vain attempt to distract herself, she tried to compose a blog entry in her mind-

Her tear stained cheeks bearing witness to the weekend's "discussions"... no.

The Tough Guy's burden of understanding was almost more difficult to bear than the pain of...ugh, definitely not.

The Tough Guy always took pride in being a good girlfriend, but now is the time to find other things to be proud of- like knowing all the words to "We Didn't Start the Fire!"...wait, what?

What does it matter?
Who's really going to read this anyway?

At that moment, the sun broke through the clouds and the stolen CD began to play the familiar first few notes of the perfect song for that very moment. With the cold composure of Sebastian from the film "Cruel Intentions" (minus that whole sexual tension with your step sister thing), the Tough Guy flipped her scarf over her shoulder and pressed on.

I might have stopped crying but I still want to punch you in the face. Some day I'll look back and laugh at the amount of gas money I spent to break my heart. Right now though, all I know is you're not getting these CDs back.

'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life....

1 comment:

Kassie said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and I'm sending lots of love your way. Love you.