Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Who Has to Know?


Our scene: The crowded, bustling bookstore at the Kansas University Student Union.

Enter: Our heroine, Lindsey, dressed in her khakis, "Life is Buddhaful" tank top, underwear inside out (unintentionally of course) and aviator shades perched on her head.

She takes a deep breath as she steps into the chaos...


I'll be the first to admit it, I'm not used to a school as large as KU; William Woods and Drury both had less than 5000 students. So to be surrounded by something like 28,000 students is a little bit mind-blowing.

But as I sit here now reflecting back on the bookstore situation (carton of Orange and Vanilla Swirl Rice Dream in hand) I can't help but wonder if I'll actually enjoy the anonymity. I mean sure I'll get to know the students in the Religious Studies program and I'll find my academic community there, but maybe it will be nice to zone out as I enjoy my 30 minute walk to class and not have to worry about who I'm going to see or how I look (which will be sweaty because it's still abhorrently hot here) because chances are I will never get to know these people. I get to sink into the comfort of being unknown.

Who am I kidding? I can't do that.
I long for a way to be connected to those around me. I love the interconnectedness I feel in large groups of people. I'm just like my brother, it's in my nature to become overly-involved and to make people know who I am and to love every minute of it.

I will find a way to enjoy being a medium fish in a large pond. No...wrong metaphor. Ew.
I will find a way to connect.
Watch out KU. ;-)

And on a completely different note- I miss real ice cream.

5 comments:

gabriel said...

If I know you (and I think I've learned one or two concepts of Lindsey-ology since we met in high school), I think as soon as you find a section of the pond fitting of your "effort," you'll make the biggest splash a medium sized fish can muster. :)

I wish you all the best of luck in this, your first year of grad school.

lindsey said...

But I don't want to be a fish!

gabriel said...

Yes, of course. Well, things other than fish can splash into ponds I suppose. ;)

Anonymous said...

Watch out for the sharks.

I don't know you nor anything about you. Except that you are very young. May I impose to offer a piece of advice. Be very slow to adopt any of the religions you will be studying. Some are amalgams and the result of trends, emphasising a few aspects. But look into the basic metaphysical tenets deeply and compare carefully. You may find, for instance, that American style Buddhism, though much more colorful, isn't as great as the simple philosophy of Lao Tzu. You have a lot of time to understand your place in the cosmos.
I agree with Mindtaker, your modesty will bring success without fail.

Anonymous said...

Don't knock fish... have you seen "A Fish Called Wanda?" Important fish... and don't forget those omega-5 oils! Best of luck at school. Sounds like you have a great curriculum ahead of you, inspite of the heat!