Tuesday, October 2, 2007

And any time you feel the pain...


As cliche as it is, I've had a line from RENT stuck in my head since yesterday-

"The opposite of WAR isn't PEACE...it's CREATION!"

Why was this particular line stuck in my head you ask? I'll admit it- my birthday weekend wasn't that great. No one's fault really, my body just declared war on itself and I didn't deal with it very well.

Now, in the recovery period, I'm embracing my unfortunately Type A personality...
I don't relax very well I've realized. For that longest time I've been frustrated with this, as I feel like there's something wrong with me. I can't just veg out on the couch and watch TV and feel better.

So I spent yesterday relaxing my way- by getting stuff done. Truck day at work was a great way to work through my stress. Brett and I kicked ass unloading the truck and getting all the candles unpacked and put away before we went home (that usually never happens). I felt so good about being productive that when I got home, I made and froze enchiladas so I could have dinner for sometime later this week and paid all of my bills. Sushi with Kat and Meghan, followed by Pan's Labyrinth was a great way to end the day.

At the end of it all I went to bed with a sense of relief, feeling like I'd gotten something done.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm slowly learning to be okay with my form of relaxation. While I'm sure there will be days where vegging out on the couch is the best option, I feel like yesterday was a big step in the right direction. Creating and accomplishing brings me peace.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have stuff to do. ;-)

2 comments:

gabriel said...

Even those of us more predisposed to the B-type personality (though I find that dichotomy over simplifying) can appreciate the satisfaction of a highly productive day. :)

I'm glad you found your peace.

Cardozo said...

Took me forever to realize that getting stuff done was the quickest route to relaxation.

The next trick is reducing my commitments so that I can sometimes actually FEEL finished...at which points my mind allows my body to relax by (gasp!) having fun.

I am avoiding second life like the plague. It will not be good for me.